Plot summary, courtesy of Publishers Weekly

"It's only natural that Alan, the broadminded hero of Doctorow's fresh, unconventional SF novel, is willing to help everybody he meets. After all, he's the product of a mixed marriage (his father is a mountain and his mother is a washing machine), so he knows how much being an outcast can hurt. Alan tries desperately to behave like a human being--or at least like his idealized version of one. He joins a cyber-anarchist's plot to spread a free wireless Internet through Toronto at the same time he agrees to protect his youngest brothers (members of a set of Russian nesting dolls) from their dead brother who's now resurrected and bent on revenge."

8 Responses to “Plot summary, courtesy of Publishers Weekly”

1. Anonymous says:

erm. this got published. lol

2. Phronk says:

This is either the best book in the history of the universe...or just too weird for its own good. I think I'll read it, since it's free 'n all. Thanks!

3. LinhThan says:

It sounds interesting. Thanks the author,thanks for your kind of distribution. I will translate this into Vietnamese and will be gratefully to have your signature there. Contact me ,please.

4. Joshua says:

Ah, man, so many words to read... who has that sort of time and dedication? I wonder if my Powerbook's mic will record a decent audiobook format... Probably not...

5. katie. says:

I bought the book at Borders..

I'm only on page 60-something.

And I love it.
    Mostly because it's almost impossible to completely understand. It sort of reminds
    Me of Danielewski's House of Leaves. In it's oddness.

Great job!

6. This is by far one of the strangest books I've ever read. Even after reading almost halfway through it, I was expecting some plot points to be delusions by one character or another. The ending still isn't totally clear to me; I don't know exactly what happened or who to blame for what, but I suppose that doesn't matter as much.

The description of grass-roots technology was interesting, but I think this world needs more far-out or surrealist fiction like this. Reminds me a bit of "The Persistence of Vision" by John Varley: "strange" people cut off from society, trying to make sense of the world.

7. David says:

This book is a masterpiece, I delighted on its mixture of the banal and the utterly weird, and the sometimes casual acceptance of the characters to the ongoing weirdness. It was touching, clever and occaisonaly shocking. I got it as a free download for the stanza app, you can bet I'm going to buy some of Doctrow's other works. Great!

8. Just got this book from the library, can't wait to read it.