The Hacker Crackdown, Part 001

I've been podcasting my fiction since September 2005, and I've basically caught up. There are a couple of novels in the can that will be coming into print shortly, and some collaborative stories, but apart from them, I've read it all.

So now I'm reading other people's stuff -- at least while I get more in the can. I'm starting with Bruce Sterling's brilliant, seminal book The Hacker Crackdown, a 1992 book that recounts the events that led to the founding of The Electronic Frontier Foundation, my former employer. Bruce released the book as a free electronic download nearly 10 years before I did the same with my first novel, Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom.

This book changed my life -- and the lives of countless others. It inspired me politically, artistically and socially. Last week, I saw Bruce at his home in Serbia and asked him if he minded my reading this aloud for the next 20 weeks or so. He gave me his blessing -- so here it is.

MP3 Link

21 Responses to “The Hacker Crackdown, Part 001”

1. Craig Audette says:

Hi Cory,

Keep on reading to us! Hearing about the events that occur in your life, and the fantastical stories you create out of them has brought me great pleasure over the past few years. You're podcast is in my trio of favorites (along with Escape Pod and Democracy Now) and I'm overjoyed to see you stepping into other people's works now that you've vocalized all your own. Keep it up, and here's to hearing both more Cory-Originals and Third Party stories in your voice.

-Craig Audette

PS: You're an inspiration.

2. [...] Eines meiner Lieblingsbücher, “The Hacker Crackdown” (hier Online zu lesen)  von Bruce Sterling gibt es jetzt als Podcast!! [...]

3. [...] Croy Doctorow liest das Buch “The Hacker Crackdown” (Teil 1) von William Gibbson. [...]

4. Guy West says:

Thanks... been on me reading list for months :)

5. Rodney says:

This is so great! I've been wanting to read this for a long time. I've had different copies of it in different forms (text, html, iPod notes-ready, etc.) at different times, but never finished it. It was the first book I ever downloaded (eastern standard tribe was the first book I ever read on my computer [that felt futuristic!]).
    Anyway, thanks for taking this on.

6. Lachlan Musicman says:

Cory! I hadn't been back for a while - I'd listened to a lot of 'casts though, and was v interested in this one. I noticed you have just finished "There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow/Now is the Best Time of Your Lif" - but episode 5 is broke/wont download??

7. [...] So now I’m reading other people’s stuff — at least while I get more in the can. I’m starting with Bruce Sterling’s brilliant, seminal book The Hacker Crackdown, a 1992 book that recounts the events that led to the founding of The Electronic Frontier Foundation, my former employer. Bruce released the book as a free electronic download nearly 10 years before I did the same with my first novel, Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. Cory Doctorow’s craphound.com >> Blog Archive » The Hacker Crackdown, Part 001 [...]

8. Christopher says:

Very good indeed. I found Bruce's "The Hacker Crackdown" a fascinating read, particularly as I personally knew one of the 80's "Phreakers" mentioned (Terminus - I served in the Army with him in the late 70's).

PS, hello from the magnificent freak-show known as Allston, Massachusetts.

9. [...] Start at Part One Subscribe to the Podcast feed [...]

10. epabu.cx says:

Thanks Cory! :)

From russia with love,
    Antanov.

11. nepbabu.cx says:

Hey Cory,

A great read. Thanks a lot. :)

12. quinn says:

OK... is "The Cuckoo's Egg" on your reading list. I read it quite a while ago... would love to hear it again.

13. gerry says:

Hi Cory!

Nice pick for a reading...

I was just wondering if you had thought of placing it on Librivox? Maybe you could even do this for all your readings? Hmmm... just an idea? I don't know if you have heard of it yet. If not, you should check it out, it is a very interesting free audio book project.

All your stuff is FANTASTIC, so I think anyone additional who discovers your fiction via additional websites would be most appreciative!

14. thesm says:

Great book to choose! You mentioned in this that you are in Australia now (or soon, can't remember). Had a quick search but couldn't see anything, are you doing any public speaking (hopefully in Brisbane, nudge nudge) while you're here.

15. LilBambi says:

Thanks Cory! Was starting to read it for myself, but would much rather hear you read it so I can listen while driving. Much better than listening to Clear Channel LOL!

Keep up the great work!

16. [...] Cory Doctorow liest als Podcast das 1992 erschiene Buch “The Hacker Crackdown - Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier” von Bruce Sterling: This book changed my life

17. Greg Tangey says:

Loved this book, happened across it using Microsoft eReader and i loved it so much i went and found a copy of the proper book of it.

18. zipdrive says:

Hi Cory,
    Why isn't this part of your podcast feed?

thanks

19. Cory Doctorow says:

It is! It's just expired out because there have been so many items since.